Thursday, June 29, 2006

Yummy Shwarma

I never thought I'd say it, but I now like shwarma. Shwarma is a Middle-Eastern specialty which is basically a sandwich that consists of a pita, hummus, Israeli-style salad, and the key ingredient - chicken or lamb shaved from a rotating pole.

Now, I admit up front, the spinning meat does not look appetizing. In the past, I've seen it in a number of store windows and I've never seen one that doesn't make me think grease.

I've also even tried shwarma in the States. And, well, it made my tummy hurt because there was so much grease in the chicken.

Today, though, an Orthodox friend of Jean's (Nahum) took us all on a wonderful tour of all the "good places" in Jerusalem. It was really awesome because he continually imparted insights and information for the entire six hours we all hung out together.

Anyway, back to the shwarma. He insisted that he knew the best shwarma place. This, from our past experiences with shwarma, did not titillate us as was his intention. And, since Matt and I had seen a sign for a deli just a few feet back, we tried to ditch the shwarma idea and just grab a deli sandwich.

This plan of action Nahum absolutely refused, as did the guy behind the shwarma counter who happened to speak perfect English. Stuck, Matt and I were forced into trying what Nahum assured us was "the best shwarma ever." So, we ordered shwarma with shaved chicken, pita, hummus, carrot Israeli salad, and (which I didn't know until I received my shwarma) French fries stuck inside.

Hesitantly (and with a bottle of water as back up), we tried it. Yummy! Totally unlike the shwarma we have had before. Not only did I not get a tummy ache, I'm starting to get cravings for the stuff.

Now Matt and I just have to remember which little shop in the Old City it was....I think we could find it again. Maybe we'll use our lack of navigational skills to convince Nahum to take us back there so we can learn so much more from Nahum on the walk to and from the "best ever" shwarma place.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy to hear the shwarma experience went well! No hearburn?!?!

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home