Sunday, June 25, 2006

Harrod's Bathroom

In the true spirit of Laura, my sister-in-law, I decided that my adventure at the Harrod's department store would not be complete until I had inspected the ladies' restroom. (Laura visits nearly every ladies' restroom and is always on the lookout for the good ones.)

Before I had actually stepped inside Harrod's, I had heard that Harrod's was upscale, but I had no idea quite how posh it could be. ("Posh" is the new British slang word I've picked up today.) Literally, there were three entire, huge rooms just for purses. I was gobsmacked (another British slang word, this one means "astonished")! However, luckily for Matt, I remembered my overfull suitcases and decided just to admire and not actually purchase any of the beautiful handbags. But the temptation!

Anyway, back to the bathroom. So, I traveled up the "Egyptian escalator" (seemed like it belonged in the Luxor hotel in Las Vegas rather than a department store, but posh is posh) to the fourth floor. Matt and I decided that we'd each check out a bathroom. Before we split up, Matt made sure I had some change in case there was a bathroom attendant (something that hadn't even occurred to me).

As I entered the women's bathroom, I was ready for super posh. Unfortunately, I was completely under-impressed. There was no ante-room, no couch, no relaxation spot. The bathroom opened directly up to a bank of sinks. On the right were little strange cubbies that had stools, a tiny counter, and a mirror to sit down and admire yourself. On the left was a bank of toilets. The toilet stalls themselves weren't very fancy; the door was nice but the actual stall was just as small and cramped as all the other British bathrooms I've been in so far. And there was a pile of toilet paper on a little shelf just to make sure you didn't run out. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there was extra toilet paper, but it wasn't displayed in a posh way.

The sinks were nice, but nothing super fancy. The only thing unusual was the soap dispenser, which was a small canister that you had to swivel upside down for the soap to come out. Overall, not much to write home about. Sorry, Laura!

On the other hand, Matt had a different experience. He later asked me what I thought about the water fountain in the bathroom. Water fountain?! That's not fair! He said they had cups at the water fountain so you could take some water to drink. He also said there was cologne. Then he told me there was an attendant, but that he didn't do anything.

What's with that?! How can the guys' bathroom be better than the gals' bathroom? Something is wrong here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home