Thursday, August 24, 2006

Lo Tov (Not Good)

I do not feel well at all. I woke up at 4 .a.m this morning with a really bad tummy ache. I took some Imodium that I purchased as Costco before I left (thanks so very much to my cantor’s father – a pharmacist – for that suggestion!) I tried to get back to sleep but was awakened again by my stomach. I rested on the couch as best as possible but the hours slipped by. I felt so bad, so weak, and so tired.

I was unfortunately forced to miss this morning’s services at the synagogue for the new month, Elul. Fortunately this month, it’s a two-day observance so I will be able to go tomorrow for an exact replica of today’s service. Since Elul has begun, the shofar (ram’s horn) is sounded every morning in anticipation of the upcoming new year (Rosh Hashanah) and Yom Kippur. I look forward to hearing the shofar frequently – it’s a sound that I enjoy for its ritual and historical aspects.

I was able to climb back in bed by about seven and I told Jen to wake me five minutes before we had to go to Hebrew. I was able to fall asleep and Jen woke me five minutes before we had to leave and it took me longer than five minutes to get ready but we weren’t too late. I felt awful during class and could hardly pay attention or read the Hebrew letters on the page. I was miserable.

Now, in the early afternoon, I haven’t yet eaten because my stomach doesn’t feel quite up to it and I’m still a tad queasy. I think I have some sort of food poisoning – our Hebrew teacher said that it’s very important to be very careful during the summer as the warm temperatures are perfect environments for all that is bad.

The only food I didn’t prepare myself was the sandwich provided by the yeshiva yesterday or a luncheon learning session. Hmmm… are they trying to reduce the number of students in the fall?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home