Friday, August 18, 2006

The Source

I have finally finished it! It has taken me two months, but I have finally finished the 1,078-page (with small font) The Source by James Michener.

I didn't only read The Source during the two months; I also read Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes, The Final Solution by Michael Chabon, The Known World by Edward Jones, and had some fun with The Princess Bride by William Goldman.

Michener was such an amazing writer. He captures both history and the problems that beset the times while still creating characters that you care about. As he jumps from one time period to the next, you often don't want to lose touch with the characters you are forced to leave behind.

I loved all the sections from the people in the cave who began the domestication of agriculture to the fighting over Sfat during Israel's fight for independence, except one section. The section on the Crusaders is what made the book take me two months to read.

I just had a hard time getting through that section. I don't think it was merely the bloodshed and battles. Perhaps it was because the huge amounts of bloodshed and death just seemed so pointless.

I think the book was a great beginner's look at the history of the area. I can't wait to ransack the bookshelves at the Israeli Museum to see what other good history books I can find.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home