Monday, July 31, 2006

I Guess It's a Good Sign?

I was talking to my sister on the phone today and I really had to keep from interspersing my conversation with Hebrew words because she doesn't speak Hebrew. I'm so used to using Hebrew around the house with Jen and on campus that I'm now speaking Hebr-ish or Eng-rew (neither have quite the ring of "Spanglish," do they?)

I'm also unable to write in English anymore. If I am taking notes in class, I would write "kat" for "cat" because Hebrew is written exactly as it sounds and so when you hear a word, you can pretty much write it down.

So, I'm losing my ability to communicate in English orally and in written communication - I might have to start working on my English flash cards next!

This made me think of Hebrew class today - one of the students said she felt like she was in second grade, with sentences like "In the city, there are people who eat ice cream. The sun is nice and warm. There are people who wear sandals." We feel like idiots but at least we're starting to learn some useful vocabulary!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have yet inspired another blog! I am amazing ;-)! But not as amazing as you - it was FABULOUS hearing you talk Eng-rew...

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home