Saturday, July 22, 2006

A Snippet

I'm very, very tired tonight after a very fun and busy Shabbat. I'd love to post a lot about our weekend but I'm pooped so I'll just copy and paste this snippet from an email I just wrote to my friend Marc, a sort of summary of my thoughts. I apologize, it's probably disjointed and rambling...

Things in Jerusalem are really, surprisingly quiet although the nightly fireworks (due to some sort of summer in the park fair or something) are pretty jarring every night for an instant when we hear them.

I find myself trying to judge what's going on in the world by the number of helicopters, fighter planes, and sirens that I hear in a given period. It doesn't seem to have any correlation to anything at all but it's how I spend my time when I'm at home.

It's nice to be living in a real city as it's something I've always wanted to do. I enjoy walking to everything and even enjoy walking home from the grocery store with food. Taking taxis for longer trips has become routine for us and as just a few dollars a trip, it's far more efficient than owning a car (especially since Jerusalem's traffic is horrific).

Sunday begins our second summer session of school and I don't feel like we've had enough of a transition. Well, three weeks from now we have three weeks off in August. Jen and I hope to see parts of the country (not the north, of course). However, apparently Eilat, the resort city in the south has raised its prices and is price gouging because many northerners have fled there. Our travels of any significant distance might just have to wait a few months, nonetheless.

I really don't have any second thoughts about coming back. I'm having a blast here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home